Skip to content ↓
Cardinal Pole Catholic School

Cardinal Pole Catholic School

Physical Education

Head of Department

Mr McDaid 
enquiries@cardinalpole.co.uk

Welcome to Physical Education

Key Stage 3 (Years 7-8)

At Key Stage 3 pupils are placed into three separate bands and taught most subjects within those bands.

During this phase of Physical Education we offer a broad range of activities which we hope will contribute to the all-round physical development of children. The current activities include Trampoline, Strength/Conditioning, Rounders, athletics, football, badminton, Kinball, Dodgeball, indoor rowing, Judo and netball.

Key Stage 4 (Years 9-11)

At Key Stage 4 all pupils follow a core curriculum which consists of English Language, English Literature, Maths, Science, Religious Education, and Physical Education.

Core PE

During this phase of physical development we offer a reduced number of activities which we match to the strengths and interests of the different groups. The activities include: strength/conditioning, football, Netball, badminton, trampoline, rounders and Kinball. We also offer a Sports leader level one Certificate for suitable pupils.

GCSE PE

We currently offer AQA GCSE PE for those pupils who select this course. During the course pupils will be assessed in their 3 strongest practical activities which accounts for 40% of the final mark. As part part of this they are required to analyse their performance in one activity.  In the other 60% of the course, pupils study the theory of physical activity and the effects of exercise on the human body. To be successful on this course and achieve a higher grade, pupils are expected to attend after School practical/theory sessions.

V-cert Health and fitness

We also offer NCFE V-Cert Health and fitness. Pupils are expected to have an interest in fitness and the fitness industry. The course is assessed through an ongoing portfolio of work which accounts for 75% of the mark with the other 25% being assessed through a written exam.


Key Stage 5 (Sixth Form, Years 12-13)

In the sixth form we offer a varied enrichment programme which involves a range of recreational activities. We also offer a Community Sports leader level 2 course to suitable candidates alongside a public first aid course.

Extra curricular activities

There is an extensive extra curricula programme at Cardinal Pole with activities before School, at lunchtime, after School and on Saturday mornings. The activities include: Fitness room, Indoor rowing, basketball, football, athletics, Netball, Dance, Judo, Badminton, Rounders, Tag rugby, Cricket and Olympic Weightlifting. We aim to have a balance between activities which are competitive and recreational and have an ‘all can play’ approach.